Senior Commercial Attorney
Location: Chicago, IL
Name: Evraz NA
EVRAZ North America, a leading producer of engineered steel products for the rail, energy and industrial end markets, and a wholly-owned subsidiary of one of the largest vertically integrated steel and mining companies in the world, is seeking a Senior Commercial Attorney to join our Legal Department at our corporate headquarters in Chicago, Illinois. The Senior Commercial Attorney will be responsible for providing contract support to our strategic business units in the United States and Canada on a variety of commercial agreements to achieve our business objectives and mitigate risk. This position will also advise business clients on a broad range of legal issues, with a focus on risk allocation, intellectual property, and data protection, to ensure the Company's compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations. The Senior Commercial Attorney will be a trusted advisor to business leaders across the organization and a valued member of the management team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide range of commercial contracts, including master sale and purchase agreements, consulting agreements, joint development agreements, confidentiality agreements, licensing agreements, and property leases;
- Develop policies and procedures to improve the Company's contract management process to ensure the proper internal review, execution and retention of commercial agreements;
- Advise and provide practical solutions to business clients on sales, marketing, distribution, operations and supply chain matters to achieve acceptable levels of risks;
- Collaborate with key business stakeholders on the identification and resolution of commercial disputes;
- Support the development and continued enhancement of standard contracts to address changing legal and business requirements;
- Assist with merger and acquisition transactions, including letters of intent, due diligence and post integration activities;
- Assist with the management of the Company's intellectual property portfolio, including collaborating with IP counsel on patent applications and trademark registrations;
- Under the supervision of the General Counsel, manage outside counsel on assigned commercial litigation matters in a strategic and cost effective manner;
- Participate in the drafting and review of Company policies, guidelines and procedures;
- Keep current on changing legal and regulatory requirements and communicate potential impact on relevant business groups;
- Perform other assignments as requested by the General Counsel.
- JD from an accredited law school and a member in good standing of the Illinois Bar;
- The ideal candidate will have 5 to 7 years of in-house contract experience in a manufacturing environment. Prior experience with Canadian contracts is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- Ability to partner effectively with business clients in a collaborative manner with minimal supervision;
- Strong analytical ability and solid business acumen;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects in a fast paced work environment;
- Ability to proactively identify legal issues and develop practical solutions to eliminate or mitigate risk;
- Ability to travel within the U.S. and internationally, as needed (20% travel required).
EVRAZ is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.