[DAES – DST] Journeyman DCGS-A FOS Technical Writer and Editor (SSES NG LC TWE-J)
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Join our DCGS-A engineering and sustainment services development support team. The development support team provides each system specific development team with all cross contract necessary functions to complete their critical customer specific missions. Types of support provided by the team to the DCGS-A engineering and sustainment contract include: Engineering Management, Scrum Management, Development Infrastructure Administration, Infrastructure/Development Environment Automation Tools, Training/Professional Development, Process Improvement/Process and Product Quality Assurance (PI/PPQA), Test/Quality Assurance Engineering (T/QAE), Technical Writing, Software Engineering Systems Acquisition, and Property Management.
The Technical Writing team supports all customer/system specific development areas inside the Distributed Common Ground Station-Army Family of Systems (DCGS-A FOS) including DCGS-A Fixed (DFI/DFB), DCGS-A v3, CDSS (RTGS, TCSP/CSA, TTC), DE-AA, DE-SS, CHARCS, ENFIRE, DTSS, CI-OPS, IWS, and DG2.0. The tech writer team supports all sections of the DCGS-A Integrations contract with high quality and timely technical editing, production, and other writing support functions.
As a Technical Writer/Editor Jy, you will be part of a team that works daily to improve the quality of DCGS-A and team documentation enabling continuous improvement of DCGS-A products. Specifically, you will:
- Create, develop, plan, write and edit complex operational, instructional, maintenance or manuals for various DCGS-A systems in order to: meet program requirements for technical documentation and style
- Gather text and materials (such as engineering models, drawings, schematics, spreadsheets, etc.) by researching products and data, conducting in depth interviews with various users, technical staff and subject matter experts in order to analyze, interpret and convert the information into end-user military standard (MIL STD) documentation and reference materials
- Research new production tools and third party software that will help improve work processes by conducting research via the internet, trade journals, seminars, user forums, etc. to solve current workflow problems and suggest to management ways to improve our documentation process
- Provide recommendations and ideas to the technical documentation team, project leads, management and the customer on best work practices, workflow, presentation, structure and organization of materials by developing new work processes and methods using existing authoring tools, new authoring tools and third party plug-ins in order to improve work process efficiency and overall quality of customer deliverables
- Document engineering processes and specifications by editing software developer and engineering staff’s notes and procedures and apply formatting in order to support the writing and publication of hardware and software test procedures, white papers, installation instructions, readme files, etc
- Proactively inform management team and project leads to report project status, issues or concerns, including issues of scope, and scheduling
- An associate’s degree and 3 years of professional work experience is required
- At least 2 years’ experience with Microsoft Office at the power user level or above
- Excellent working knowledge of DoD MIL Standards and style guides and the ability to adhere to and implement such standards to technical documentation
- Advanced English language skills including accurate definitions and spelling of relevant technical words, rules of composition, and grammar
- Advanced written communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with the target audience
- Excellent verbal communication, listening and interviewing skills
- Excellent ability to research and interpret data
- Demonstrated experience working in a DoD IT environment as a technical writer
- In-depth working knowledge of Microsoft Visio
- Knowledge of Microsoft SharePoint or another document repository system
- Secret Clearance Required at time of hire with TS/SCI eligibility needed based on final work
- Associate’s Degree in a related technical or writing field is highly desirable
- Certification / certificate in technical writing from an accredited institute
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) or other related Microsoft certification
- MOS: Microsoft SharePoint 2013 certified
- Familiarity of task / project management principles (e.g. PMI, ITIL, SCRUM, CMMI, AGILE)
About The Organization:
Sotera Defense Solutions, Inc. (Sotera) is an agile, mid-size national security technology company that delivers innovative systems, solutions and services in support of the critical missions of the Intelligence Community, Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security and federal law enforcement agencies charged with ensuring the safety and security of our nation. Our 1,200 employees are focused on delivering essential counterterrorism, cyber operations, intelligence, data analytics, C4ISR and force mobility solutions to our customers throughout the national security community.
Sotera Defense Solutions is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a position with Sotera through its online applicant system, please contact Sotera’s recruiting team at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].